I’ll be honest, I wasn’t one of those kids that struggled with their skin during puberty (Don’t roll your eyes and stop reading, because my skin didn’t stay perfect).
So, when I got into my 20s and my hormones started to change, I really didn’t know what to do with this new issue of breakouts. Turns out, I was doing a lot of damage to my skin. I was over-exfoliating with physical exfoliants, essentially scraping my skin and causing it to produce more oil to make up for all the moisture I was taking away. BAD.
To make matters worse, the psoriasis that had previously decorated my elbows and knees, decided to make it’s way to my nose and around both of my eyes. Yeah, I had psoriasis-goggles. Not the cutest. When you’re dealing with health issues, the last thing you want is for them to be present where everyone can see them. And, because I struggle with autoimmune diseases, my skin has a difficult time healing, and loves to scar.
So to recap, I was dealing with:
- hormonal breakouts
- patchy psoriasis around my eyes and nose
- scarring from acne
Fast forward a year, and I have the best skin I’ve ever had. I’m not a doctor or dermatologist, but this is what I do every morning and it’s made a giant difference. Plus, my process has been confirmed by the babes at ITG so it’s got to be good.
- Cleanse with Glossier’s Milky Jelly Cleanser — I usually just use one pump on my dry skin and then wash with lukewarm water. (purchase with me)
- Occasional second cleanse with Yes to Coconut Micellar Water — I’ll use this to take off any makeup residue I may have left behind. This stuff smells delicious, is gentle on my skin AND you can find it at CVS or Target. Winner.
- Tone with Thayer’s Witch Hazel Rose Petal Toner — I squirt a bit of this onto a big cotton ball and swipe it on in upward strokes.
- Serums — Depending on the day, I use a combination of Glossier’s Supers (purchase Super Glow, Super Bounce and Super Pure with me) in addition to Kiehl’s Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution. Glossier has done wonders to my breakouts and the Kiehl’s serum has really helped me lighten those dark acne scars overtime.
- Mist — I spritz my face with Herbivore Rose Hibiscus Coconut Water Hydrating Mist (holy long name Batman!) to prep my skin for my moisturizing creams. This helps the creams sink into my skin.
- Eye cream — I’ve been using Origins GinZing Energy-Boosting Gel Moisturizer. I really carefully tap it into the area around my eyes (the sunglasses zone) without getting too close so I avoid any irritation.
- Moisturizer — I love love love and will always use Glossier’s Priming Moisturizer. It calms any redness I may have and truly hydrates my skin without leaving it greasy. (Purchase with me)